Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A Frequent Encounter with Royalty

The first of three posts on "When you pray, go into your room".

Key Scripture Passage
"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."  Matthew 6:6 NIV


Reflection
I still find it difficult to believe to this day.

We were visiting Buckingham Palace for the changing of the guard.  A sudden buzz came across the gathered crowd when news broke out that the Queen Mother's motorcade would soon be passing.  Sure enough it came, but to everyone's surprise, it stopped.  The car door opened, and out stepped the Queen Mother herself.  Much to my amazement, she approached me, called me by name, and asked if I would step into the Palace with her for a private meeting.  I forgot all about my busy schedule that day and humbly followed with a sense of honor I had never felt before.  Imagine - the Queen Mother wanted a private meeting with me!

Well, you can keep it to your imagination because, of course, that story isn't true.  But an even more amazing one is - the King of kings has invited me into a private meeting with Him whenever I choose to come!

Surely I would put aside my petty busy-ness and take advantage of such an amazing invitation as frequently as I could.  Or would I?  Do I?

Why don't I spend more time alone with God?  Is my busy-ness really that important?  Is it because I really don't comprehend who He is, value Him, and appreciate the invitation?  What reward am I missing out on because I don't develop this close intimacy with God?   How much more of the kingdom of heaven on earth could I experience here and now, and extend it to others, if I was only willing to accept the invitation and enter the room with the King of kings?

We'll explore these thoughts in the posts to follow.

Questions to Consider
How intimate are you with God?  Do you value Him so much that you are willing to regularly put everything else aside and spend time with just Him in your "room"?

Action Step for the Week
Set aside 30 minutes in your week ahead to be alone with God.  Ask Him "What do you have to say to me today, God?"  Then listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment