Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Extraordinary Extra Mile


Scripture Passage
“Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name this is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” Philippians 2: 5-11

Reflection
I am exhausted. I am spent and worn out and wonder if I have anything left to give. This summer was a long process of leaving behind my life in DC and starting a new chapter in a new place. The start of grad school has brought a whole wonderfully new community into my daily life. As one of the few first-year students with a car and one of only a small contingent of Americans, I’ve spent a lot of time just helping my classmates settle in to life here. My daily existence has been inundated with incredible new people. We study together, we workout together, we go to networking events and happy hours and conferences together. It’s truly amazing.

But to be perfectly honest, it’s also incredibly hard to add so many new people to your life all at once while still trying to juggle relationships with family, friends, and colleagues that aren’t in my new city, balance commitments like that to PEER Servants, and somehow, somewhere in this process, study well and prepare to advance my career. I wonder if it’s ok to perhaps be more selective in whom I offer a ride to, or to just take a day or two to myself and not spend time with everyone else.

The concept of service is nothing new to the Christian dialogue. Our title, PEER Servants, fully embraces this component of the Christian life. Service is often how we determine our activities, and perhaps their validity in our schedules. We serve those we feel most burdened for, whether orphans or the elderly, trafficking victims or the homeless. We give our time and our energy to the causes we are most passionate about.

But too often we believe we are only called to serve as it fits within our boundaries of comfort. I’ve heard the advice to take time for yourself, to protect your health, and do what you need to do (and yes, there’s something to caring for the health that God has granted you). But I have to wonder if we’re really interpreting this in line with the Bible, or if we are using that as a justification to only go the first mile.

In church today, the pastor dug into the above-mentioned passage in Philippians. And what the Spirit convicted me of was that the only valid measure of our service is that of Christ’s service for us. Christ is the ultimate example of servitude.

Am I exhausted? Absolutely.

But have I given yet the equivalent of Christ’s sacrifice for me? Not nearly. I am to be a living sacrifice, as Christ was our ultimate sacrifice.

And have I yet emptied myself of the power that is available to me through the Spirit? By the grace of God, there is ample strength for the second mile. And if my eyes and heart are fixed on the sacrifice that Christ has made for me, and the glory of his reign, I will press on with joy and strength knowing that in this stage too, he will be glorified.

Romans 15:13, “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.”

Question to Consider
Am I serving those in my sphere to the extent that Christ served me? Am I viewing the opportunities in my life as my “reasonable worship” (Rom. 12:1)?

Action Step for the Week
Are you considering stopping at the first mile, because the second one seems to be too much? Or are you walking that second mile and growing weary and tired? Be encouraged by reading and reflecting on Romans 12:1-2 and Philippians 2:1-11. Pray that God would give you a fresh glimpse of his great love for you. Pray for his strength and endurance to guide you through the second mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment